Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First Paper: Proposal

            Anyway, let’s get back on the right path here. While I am a very avid musician, there are still some elements of the musical world that pique my interest more so than others. One of those things is rock and roll. I like the classics: Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, etc.; as a matter of fact I have the soundtrack to the movie Great Balls of Fire that I listen to quite frequently. The first time I heard Jason D. Williams (a very prominent Jerry Lee Lewis imitator) perform, I fell in love with rock and roll. The only things I had known about rock and roll were the fact that it existed and that I knew the songs of a few new-age rock groups. I was not nearly as aware of this genre’s history as I am now.
Here’s the thing: what used to be a highly frowned upon genre has made its way up to being one of the most appreciated forms of music in the course of history. Rock and Roll set new standards for how music should sound in many ways, from the lyrics all the way to how upbeat the music is. Some of music’s greatest names were discovered because of the uprising of this genre.  It’s also very important to know that the ruckus that has resulted from rock and roll music has helped to make music what it is today. Just think, if Jerry Lee Lewis hadn’t put out his chart-topping risqué song Whole Lotta Shakin’ in 1957, you may not be listening to Pitbull’s Give Me Everything on your iPod right now. Also, the racial/cultural harmony that lies within music might not have even come into existence like it has today.
            The best thing about rock and roll is its level of appeal. Everyone can relate to it in some way, because virtually everyone in today’s society has heard at least one rock and roll some in their lifetime. It doesn’t matter if the song is new-age rock and roll or the older 1950’s rock and roll like I enjoy, it appeals to nearly everyone.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment